FOUNDER / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
Associate professor Mark Gilheany is a highly-experienced foot and ankle surgeon.
After establishing a successful general practice in all aspects of podiatric medicine he completed his surgical fellowship with the ACPS in 1994. During and post training he undertook rotations in the USA within CPME accredited units.
He has completed courses in trauma and arthroscopy with the AO foundation, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. He has Fellowships from the USA and the UK in addition to his primary qualification for specialist registration in Australia as a podiatric surgeon. Mark also has a Masters degree in surgical education from Melbourne university.
He has been primarily in private practice in Melbourne since 1994 with a strong focus on function and a patient centered approach to surgical and non-surgical management of patients.
Throughout his career he has been involved in academic teaching and curriculum development in both undergraduate and post graduate podiatric medical education. Mark has an extensive publication history and is an active researchers and supervisor of postgraduates. His research history includes work in health policy, hallux valgus and rigidus and flat foot management.
He is a leader in the field. Many of Australia’s podiatric surgeons have been the beneficiaries of his ongoing commitment to training and research. Mark has pioneered multiple foot and ankle procedures that have been included in textbooks and peer reviewed publications.
Mark was the first foot and ankle specialist in Australia to be certified in minimally invasive surgical techniques (MIS). He uses MIS as both a standalone approach for a range of foot ankle pathology and incorporated with traditional open procedures. He has lectured on and taught these techniques over the past 10 years.
Beyond his own clinical practice and role in education Mark established and was a driving force behind the establishment of ACPS foot and ankle medical / surgical mission to Vietnam during the 1990’s. An initiative which grew into a range of related aid missions throughout South East Asia.
As an office holder and ultimately president of the ACPS he was directly involved in facilitating and driving reforms to health policy which included federal and state recognition of podiatry and podiatric surgeons across a range of policy and legislative areas.
He has also served on several health-related government regulatory and accreditation boards over a 25-year period.
Mark is the recipient of several professional awards.
- Journal articles
- Gilheany M, F., Amir O, T and Ozcan H. Capsular Interposition Arthroplasty for Hallux Rigidus - A Pragmatic Technique. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery.
- Gilheany M.F., Yates B. and Camasta C. Accreditation, regulation, training and funding of podiatric surgeons. An international comparison.
- Book chapters:
- Gilheany M, F. Two Chapters were commissioned and have been submitted for a new textbook; Hammertoes: A Clinical Casebook, (2015). Springer
- Baarini O, Gilheany M. Angioleiomyoma of the Plantar-Medial Arch: A Case Report. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. July 2016;10(7): PD07-PD8.
- Bours, P. W. and M. F. Gilheany. Ankle arthroplasty in a patient with concomitant osteochondral lesion of the talar dome and haemochromatosis. Australasian Journal of Podiatric Medicine (2007) 41(2): 32 -35.
- Bours, P. W. and M. F. Gilheany. Pyogenic granuloma. An atypical appearance in the foot. Australasian Journal of Podiatric Medicine (2007) 41(1): 13 -16.
- Bours, P. W. and M. F. Gilheany. Subperiosteal Osteoid Osteoma of the talar neck – a case report. Australasian Journal of Podiatric Medicine (2007) 41(3):44 -46.
- British Medical Journal. (2012) May 22;344:e3260. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e3260.
- Gilheany M, F and Borthwick A, M. Recent developments in podiatric prescribing in the UK and Australia. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research (2009) 2:37
- Gilheany M, F. and Amir O, T. Metatarsocuneiform Joint Resection Arthroplasty for Atraumatic Osteoarthrosis: An Alternative to Arthrodesis. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery (2013). Jan-Feb;52(1):122-4. doi: 10.1053/j.jfas.2012.09.005. Epub 2012 Nov 15.
- Gilheany M, F. and Robinson P. Is there a role for podiatric surgeons in public hospitals? An audit of surgery to the great toe joint in Victoria, 1999-2003. Australian Health Review, (2009) Vol. 33 No. 4 Pages 690 – 695.
- Gilheany M, F. Landorf K, B. and Robinson P. Hallux valgus and hallux rigidus: a comparison of impact on health related quality of life. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research (2008) 1:14
- Gilheany M, F., Baarini O. and Samaras D. Minimally invasive surgery for pedal digital deformity: an audit of complications using national benchmark indicators. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, (2015) 8(17).
- Gilheany M, F., Minimal Incision Foot and Ankle Surgery – what is all the fuss about? Australasian Podiatric Surgeon (2012) http://acps.edu.au/cms_files/ACPS%20eMagazine%20September%202012.pdf
- Gilheany M, F., Specialist Podiatric Medical Education in Australia. Australasian Podiatric Surgeon. (2012)
- Gilheany M.F. Metatarsus Adducto Varus Australian Podiatry Council Conference Proceedings (1996) Vol 1, (17) 85-90.
- Gilheany M.F. (1996) Sesamoiditis - A New Classification System and Surgical Management Australian Podiatry Council Conference Proceedings (1996) Vol 1, (17) 91-94.
- Gilheany M.F. Intra - articular calcaneal fractures. Australian Podiatry Council Conference Proceedings (1998) Vol 2, (18) 67-75.
- Gilheany, M. F. Injuries to the Anterior Process of the Calcaneus. The Foot (2002) 212(3).
- Gilheany, M. F. and A. V. Essen. Report to Productivity Commission - Health Workforce Study. Australasian College of Podiatric Surgeons. (2005)
- Gilheany, M. Health Policy - can the organisational change literature provide assistance to the podiatry profession? Australasian Journal of Podiatric Medicine (2003) 37(1).
- Gilheany, M., An experience of aid missions to South East Asia. Footscape. (2011). p. 2-4. http://www.footscape.com.au/
- Gilheany, M.F. 1st MTP Joint Surgery "Health Outcome Measurement". Australian Podiatry Council Conference Proceedings. (2003). Perth
- McMillan A,M., Landorf K,B., Gilheany M,F., Bird A,R., Morrow A,D. and Menz H,B. Ultrasound guided injection of dexamethasone versus placebo for treatment of plantar fasciitis: protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, (2010) 3(15)
- McMillan AM, Landorf KB, Gilheany MF, Bird AR, Morrow AD, Menz HB.
- Menz H, B. Gilheany M, F. Landorf K, B. Foot and ankle surgery in Australia: a descriptive analysis of the Medicare Benefits Schedule database, 1997–2006.Journal of Foot and Ankle Research (2008)1:10
- Menz H,B. Fotoohabadi M,R. Munteanu S,E. Zammit G,V. Gilheany M,F. Plantar Pressures and Relative Lesser Metatarsal Lengths in Older People with and without Forefoot Pain Journal of Orthopaedic Research (2013) March.
- Smith S. Menz H, B. Gilheany M, F. Landorf K, B. Development and reliability of an intra-operative first metatarsophalangeal joint cartilage evaluation tool for use in hallux valgus surgery. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, 50 (2011) 31-36
- Smith, S. Tinley, P. Gilheany, M. Grills, B. Kingsford, A. The inferior calcaneal spur. Anatomical and histological considerations. (2007)The Foot 17: 25 - 31.
- Ultrasound guided corticosteroid injection for plantar fasciitis: randomised controlled trial.
- Zammit G,V. Menz H,B. Munteanu S,E. Landorf K,B. and Gilheany M,F. Interventions for treating osteoarthritis of the big toe joint. Cochrane Database Systematic Review (2010) Sep 8; 9:CD007809